Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Warburton lane - art






One of the great things about the City of Melbourne is its creative use of public space. Laneways, the otherwise forgotten ugly sister to the wide boulevards, are embraced with vigour. Like Cinderlla, Melbourne's laneways have the chance to shine and put on a show throughout the year. Melbourne's Laneway Commissions are an annual chance for public artists to slip a glass slipper and ball gown onto the dusty utilitarian laneways.

This example here is from the 2007 commissions. As I make my way around the city with my trusty camera phone I will also be bringing you 2008's intake of cultural and artistic interpretations of laneway art.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! I must remember to "look up" whilst walking around the streets of Melbourne.